Your portal can receive data feeds from your bank or financial institutions directly but may have some limitations as to historical data or not providing feeds for particular institutions. You may also be on a subscription that does not allow direct feeds.
In these cases, your portal may be missing needed transaction history. You are able to upload a CSV file of transactions, or add transactions manually one by one.
Option 1 -Manually (one by one)
Bank accounts, either manually added or directly feed, must already be added to the wealth area in order for you to be able to choose the account in the list. You might like to visit How do I add a wealth item?
To add a single transaction to a specific account:
A. Through the Cashflow Section:
- Open Cashflow and click on Tools>Add single transaction
- Complete the requested fields paying special attention to the Financial account.
- Click Save & exit.
B. Through the Wealth Section:
You can also add transactions manually one by one to your bank account in the wealth tab.
- Click on the wealth tab.
- Select the Bank account you would like to add a transaction to (You must already have the bank account set up in your wealth area. This article may be helpful: How do i add a Wealth Item?
- Click on “Transactions”
- You will see an “Add transaction” button, click on that and you will be prompted to enter details for your manual transaction.
Option 2 - CSV upload (Bulk transactions)
If you have numerous transactions to add, you don’t have to add them one by one as this would be very time consuming. Instead, you can upload a CSV file to import bank account and/or credit card transactions to Cashflow in bulk.
You can download CSV files from most banks by logging into your bank account, selecting the account you want and downloading the transactions.
Because many banks will download the CSV files differently, you will need to adjust it to match (exactly) one of the three portal template options provided below.
NOTE: You must use one of the example templates provided below to format your data. You can copy and paste the appropriate template to add your own data It is vital that you follow the template as it appears and save it as a CSV file. Do not edit the headings or format of the templates as this will result in a failed upload.
Example template 1
|EXAMPLE INCOME||12.31||LEAVE BLANK||1/08/2020|
Example template 2
|Example Income||LEAVE BLANK||12.31||LEAVE BLANK||1/08/2020|
Example template 3
|EXAMPLE INCOME||12.31||LEAVE BLANK||CREDIT||1/08/2020|
To import the CSV file for bulk upload of transactions:
- Once you have formatted your data into one of the above mentioned templates and saved as a CSV file, click on Tools in the top right hand corner of the cashflow tab.
- In the dropdown menu select Bulk add transaction (CSV upload)
- The statement upload screen pops up, choose the account you want to import and look for the CSV file you have prepared matching the download CSV template.
- Click Upload.
- The transactions will now appear in the transactions screen.